Sunday, December 8, 2013

Initial Blog Reflection



When creating this research blog, I wanted to track an issue in the healthcare field. I specifically wanted to address the issue of minority healthcare disparities. Disparities in minority healthcare is a problem that I've experienced many times as a child and it's still an ongoing problem that requires immediate attention. The question that I chose to guide my research was, "Why are minorities experiencing health disparities in healthcare?" My initial thoughts in response to this question is that health disparities in the minority population exists due to lack of health care access for minorities. Minorities are discriminated because they have lower SES and don't have the income to be qualified for quality health insurance. I believed that only people with good health insurance are eligible for good healthcare, resulting in those without good health insurance or lack of it will be out of luck.

When my parents immigrated to America about 30 years ago, they struggled to acculturate to the American culture. They worked multiple jobs to sustain their basic needs to survive in the United States. Long hours of work and lack of rest led to more frequent illnesses. They avoided seeking medical care because they were not fortunate with health insurance. When some of their illnesses got too severe, the medical staff at their local hospital did not provide quality care in serving their medical needs. Our low-income family suffered from lack of access to a basic healthcare plan due to lack of resources and governmental support. Understanding their struggles in lack of quality healthcare provided me the background information to start researching further on this blog.

My understanding of the health care system evolved from my personal experiences at medical offices during my family's doctor visits. These experiences shaped my feelings on how minorities are being treated. Their lack of quality care in health care made me believe that minorities are their lowest priority and not treated the same as other patients. I've learned from my previous experiences that inequality in healthcare is existent mostly towards the minority population. I wonder what other choices are left for minorities in order to be treated equally and overcome healthcare barriers. I hope that my research will help to explain the reasons for the minority healthcare disparities and reveal the opportunities that will make changes in ensuring that minorities receive the quality care that they deserve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Also with parents immigrating to the States about 30 years ago I agree with your blog. Not having quality health care is a growing epidemic for minorities. I remember going to medical offices with my parents and it's typically run down with unprofessional personnels. I guess this is "you get what you pay for". But who is to blame? My parents worked multiple long hour jobs trying to better our living condition, but yet we were still struggling. I believe without government involvement, it would be difficult to have access to equality health care for minorities.