Sunday, December 8, 2013

Final Blog Reflection



Coming into this research project with a mindset that minorities are not treated fairly in the healthcare system, I strived to find the answers to why this is the reason and what can be done to eliminate this. My initial reaction to my research topic was mainly based on my personal experiences with minority healthcare. After researching more about the issue of disparities in the healthcare system, it validated my strong perspective on the negative impact of social factors creating unequal treatment in care towards the minority population. Through my research, I discovered that minorities are underrepresented and not blessed with quality healthcare, regardless of their socioeconomic status, income, education levels or access to resources. 

As I read through Thomas LaVeist's Minority Populations and Health: An Introduction to Health Disparities in the United States, he provided the basic knowledge I needed to understand minority health disparities and his proposal on solutions to eliminate this issue motivated me in realizing that there are people who are trying to make changes like myself. As I developed more knowledge in my research through my interview and observation process, I witnessed the real life situations that impacted the minority population. Their real life experiences inspired me to keep looking for answers to solve this major issue. All research conducted helped me to learn that although minorities are unfortunate with lack of access to quality healthcare, it's important for the public to step in and provide the extra hand in making changes for the better. 

The healthcare system is constantly evolving to a new level. There are ongoing advancements in medical technology and it is up to the public to create positive changes in our healthcare. Providing ways for patients to receive the best possible care are the top priorities for all healthcare providers. Being able to strive for good health and fighting against medical problems are the main goals for medical practices. I've developed a knowledge that healthcare problems can be eliminated when unity exists in all individuals who believe in making positive changes. When people of all different racial background unite as one, a powerful change will happen in our culture: a change for the equality, for the better, for the future. The healthcare system and its negative effect on the minority population will not be gone forever, but the opportunities for change is happening and we must have faith in hopes of one day, inequality in healthcare will not be a problem anymore. Ultimately, I am truly honored to present this topic with the public and I'm excited to uncover what the future will hold for me in the healthcare field. 

No comments: